Media Release: NT EPA issues direction to Western Desert Resources to address environmental concerns
07 Oct 2014
The NT EPA issued a direction under section 72 of the Waste Management and Pollution Control Act to the appointed receivers of Western Desert Resources on 26 September 2014.
The direction comes about as a result of an inspection undertaken by NT EPA officers in late August when a number of environmental concerns were identified at some of the Western Desert facilities.
The direction requires the receivers to prevent contaminants or wastes from leaving the land on which mining activity occurs at three locations:
- the Western Desert Resources Roper Bar mine site;
- the Haul Road between the mine site and the Bing Bong Loading Facility; and
- the Bing Bong Loading Facility.
The receivers are required to:
- take all reasonable measure to divert stormwater away from and prevent flooding of mining activities;
- install and rectify appropriate sedimentation ponds and associated drainage systems to service mining activity areas; and
- take all reasonable measures to prevent erosion and sediment runoff at bridge approaches along the haul road.
These measures are to be completed by 1 December 2014.
The receivers are also required to investigate and implement appropriate measures (that should not cause additional environmental impact) to clean-up the deposition of iron ore material on the tidal flats.
Media contact - Lesley Major 0419 288 284