Proponent: Sun Cable Pty Ltd
Sun Cable Pty Ltd is proposing to establish a large-scale solar farm and energy storage facility in the Barkly region, NT, with power exported via a high-voltage direct current transmission network to Middle Arm peninsula, Darwin, and then sub-sea cable through Darwin Harbour and NT, National and International waters to Singapore. The proposal comprises:
- a solar farm precinct (up to 12 000 hectares in area) including battery and ancillary infrastructure in the Barkly region of the NT, approximately 40 km southwest of Elliott
- a high voltage, direct current (DC) overhead power transmission line (located mainly within the existing Alice Springs to Darwin railway corridor) from the solar farm to Middle Arm peninsula in Darwin, approximately 750 km to the north
- up to two voltage source converters located at Middle Arm peninsula to convert power from DC to alternating current (AC) for connection to the Darwin-Katherine Integrated System, and a point to point link from Darwin to Singapore.
- a land-sea joint station at Middle Arm peninsula to transition the high voltage cables from onshore to offshore
- a subsea high voltage DC cable and fibre optic cable network that will extend approximately 3750 km from Darwin to Singapore, via Indonesia, with approximately 106 km of the cable proposed for NT waters.
Stage 1: Referral
NT EPA notices
- Notice of Decision to accept proponent initiated EIS referral
- Notice of Decision and Statement of Reasons - 12 January 2021
- Terms of Reference for an EIS - 19 January 2021
Statutory Notice ( 19 October 2020)
The NT EPA invites public comment on a proponent initiated EIS referral submitted by Sun Cable Pty Ltd to develop the Australia-ASEAN Power Link. The referral document and draft Terms of Reference for an EIS can be inspected on the NT EPA consultation hub, or obtained by contacting the NT EPA. Interested persons may make a submission by 27 November 2020. The NT EPA gives this notice in accordance with regulation 52(1) of the Environment Protection Regulations 2020.
Impact assessment documents
|Referral Main Report|
|Statement of Reason|
|Draft Term of References|