The NT EPA alleges that several offences have been committed under the Waste Management and Pollution Control Act (WMPC Act) as a result of the release of the chemicals.
The charges laid are that:
- Between 21 March 2017 and 23 March 2017 a 76-year-old Darwin man intentionally polluted the environment, resulting in material environmental harm, contrary to section 83(3) of the WMPC Act;
- Between 1 January and 23 March 2017, the Director of a now deregistered company committed offences under section 91(1) of the WMPC Act, whereby he:
- Polluted the environment resulting in material environmental harm contrary to section 83(4) of the WMPC Act;
- Conducted an activity contrary to section 30(3) of the WMPC Act, involving the storage of listed wastes without an environmental protection licence; and
- Intentionally caused contaminants to be stored so they would leak into the environment and cause environmental harm, contrary to section 83(6) of the WMPC Act