The NT EPA is preparing to implement the Northern Territory Government's newly reformed environmental regulatory regime.
The Environment Protection Act 2019 will replace the current environmental impact assessment process.
Now available for comment is the draft Guidance for proponents – Stakeholder engagement and consultation.
Meaningful engagement and consultation by proponents with the community and stakeholders is fundamental to conducting an open, transparent and robust environmental impact assessment. Proponents who commence the stakeholder engagement process early, with a strategic long-term view, are more likely to achieve overall positive outcomes for their proposal.
Effective stakeholder engagement involves interactions between identified groups of people to build relationships, gain mutual respect, make better decisions and assist proponents in obtaining and maintaining a social licence to operate
Why we are consulting
To assist proponents of development proposals and other stakeholders to understand and participate in the new environmental impact assessment process, the NT EPA is developing a series of guidance documents. These will be released for comment over the coming weeks.
Stakeholders are encouraged to visit the NT EPA consultation webpage regularly to stay informed about the development of guidance documents, and to view the draft guidance documents that have been released for public comment.
Draft guidance documents
- Guide NTEPA Environmental Factors and Objectives.pdf
- Guideline Referring Proposed Action to NTEPA
- Making a public submission during the environmental impact assessment process
- Referring significant variation to NTEPA EIA guidance proponents draft consultation
- Preparing a supplementary environmental report
- Preparing an environmental impact statement
- Guidance proponents stakeholder engagement and consultation
- Referral Form
- Preparing a proponent initiated EIS referral
- Statement of Reasons (SOR) template for a proponent initiated EIS referral
- Terms of Reference (TOR) template for a proponent initiated EIS referral