The NT EPA may enter into an agreement (a performance agreement) with a person who is:
- conducting an activity that causes, or is likely to cause, pollution resulting in environmental harm or that generates or is likely to generate waste or
- the owner or occupier of land that is polluted.
A performance agreement requires a person to undertake a program:
- to protect, restore or enhance the environment or
- to improve waste management or
- to prevent, reduce, control, rectify or clean up of pollution or environmental harm resulting from pollution.
A performance agreement:
- may specify that the NT Government is to provide assistance in relation to the performance of the program and
- is a contract binding on the NT Government and the person with whom the agreement is entered into.
Performance agreements are available on the public register.