Proponent: TNG Limited
TNG Limited (TNG) proposes to construct and operate the Darwin Processing Facility at Middle Arm, Darwin Harbour, within Lot 1817, Hundred of Ayers. The facility would process magnetite concentrate railed from TNG's (separately proposed) Mt Peake Project, 1400km south of Darwin. The following products would be produced and exported through East Arm Wharf to international customers:
- titanium dioxide – a pigment for use in paint, varnish, paper, plastics, and other materials including inks, fibres, cosmetics and food
- vanadium pentoxide - for use as an alloying agent in steel, catalyst and ingredient in battery manufacture (including vanadium redox batteries)
- iron oxide – the main source of iron for the steel making industry (also known as ferric oxide or hematite)
The project requires assessment under the NT Environmental Assessment Act 1982 with transitional provisions from the NT Environment Protection Act 2019 and is a 'controlled action' under the Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999. The project is being assessed at the level of an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) under the bilateral agreement between the NT and Australian Governments. The relevant controlling provisions are:
- Listed threatened species and communities (sections 18 and 18A) and
- Listed migratory species (sections 20 and 20A).
The proposal was initially referred to the NT Environment Protection Authority (NT EPA) on 27 October 2015 as the Darwin Refinery (Stage 1). The NT EPA decided on 15 January 2016 that the proposed action requires assessment at the level of an EIS.
Terms of Reference (Stage 2) - The draft Terms of Reference for the EIS were available for public comment from 23 April 2016 to 6 May 2016. The final Terms of Reference for the EIS were issued on 20 May 2016.
Draft EIS (Stage 3) - The draft EIS was available for public comment from 30 November 2019 to 21 February 2020.
Supplement to the EIS (Supplement) (Stage 4) – The NT EPA invites comment on the Supplement for the Darwin Processing Facility during the public submission period commencing 26 March 2021 and closing at 11:59pm on 19 April 2021.